Tuesday 4 November 2008

TfL

So, I think it's safe to say that I'm officially sick of public transit. I try to not whine on here, but, well, this is me whining.

I've been commuting to Canary Wharf from north of Angel -- I've made the trip in 30 minutes off peak times, but it can take an hour or more during peak hours. At peak hours, it's not uncommon to wait for multiple trains to go by before squeezing between three other people and a door to get onto the tube. Oh, and the trip is only five miles. There's nothing quite like getting out of the tube, having been crammed between two fat guys, smelling what they had for breakfast, before even getting to the office.

Also, it'd be SO nice to be able to take a change of clothes with me. I went to a spin class this morning, which meant I had the gym bag and the laptop bag with me on the tube, at rush hour. It was great to get in a workout, but completely not worth the aggravation of trying to get onto the tube at 8:30 afterward. I then ended up coming home to drop off both the gym clothes and the laptop before heading out to an election night party... so I'm at two hours on public transit so far today, and headed off for another 20-minute tube ride each way. I miss having the space and utility of a car -- not necessarily driving one on London's roads, as that would just be stupid, but the ability to leave something in the trunk and get it out after work. At least being in traffic has some amount of solitude, I find it somewhat relaxing, and can even make phone calls, listen to the radio, or the like.

I guess the other option is to figure out, if I move at all while over here, where I could go such that I could walk to work and still have public transit available for evenings and weekends...

No comments: