Sunday 5 July 2009

Warsaw

No, I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth. Yes, I do exist, even if it's been forever since I last posted here.

As my previous post mentioned, I did a last-minute trip to Warsaw over the bank holiday weekend at the end of May. A few of the photos are online here.

I arrived midafternoon on Saturday, ventured through the streets of the Old Town section and explored a bit. That evening was spent with a few others I met at the hostel, after they decided I needed to learn the virtues of the various different Polish vodkas. Let's just say that there is quite the selection available!

Sunday morning, I went to mass, which was quite the adventure given it was all in Polish! I then ventured through a market to find a kielbasa and some pieroghi for lunch, before heading into the city to tour the war memorials and the New Town area.

Monday, I watched the city come to life from the first story window of a coffeeshop, while reading a book, before heading off to the airport.

I'm glad I took the trip and visited Warsaw, but it's not on the list of places to which I must return. It's definitely a bit of a culture shock, as the city has never fully rebuilt following the bombings from World War II. Many of the parks in the city are located where portions of the city were just never rebuilt. Likewise, those areas that were rebuilt tend to have large concrete block buildings from the Soviet era.

No comments: