Saturday 18 July 2009

Edinburgh

As a graduation gift, my brother Dave ended up visiting for two weeks. We spent the better part of a week together in London and he also did an 8-day trip through the UK to visit a friend at Oxford, see other parts of the country and meet me for a weekend in Edinburgh.

So, last weekend, I left work a bit early on Friday and headed to Luton for the flight up to Edinburgh. I need to do another post at some point about my first (and possibly last) experience with EasyJet, but that's another post for another day...

Dave and I found a pub with a singer / guitar player after I got into town on Friday night. It's the first I've heard a guy with a synthesized backing band, where he actually had talent! Any other time I've heard someone do that, he tried to hide behind the synthesized recording and more or less failed... but this guy was good!

Saturday, we explored town, toured the castle, did the whiskey tasting experience, and ventured up to the top of Holyrood Park. A few of Dave's photos are on http://picasaweb.google.com/trenshaw/... I never actually took my camera out with us.

Saturday night, we met up with three of my friends from London who had also traveled up to Edinburgh for the weekend. We did dinner together, then a ghost tour through town, and then found a few pubs. It seemed like every single pub had live music... and they were good!

We toured the National Gallery on Sunday morning and then did an underground tour of the old city in the afternoon, before heading off to an airport and back to reality. Definitely a great weekend and an amazing opportunity to catch up with Dave!

Now, this weekend, I'm back in London and have little planned, for the last time in a while. A friend from New York will be here the next two weekends, I'm doing a 14-mile race in Wales after that, then a week in Northern Ireland, then have two other friends from the States visiting for a weekend. The next free weekend at this point is in mid September, the weekend before going to Oktoberfest. Where's the time going?!?

1 comment:

J.Washburn said...

Have you been to Belgium recently??? Jen and I are considering traveling there summer 2010.