Sunday 11 January 2009

2009 Travel

So, it's the start of a new year. One of the primary reasons for moving to London was to explore more of Europe. Since moving here, I've been to Geneva, Zurich, Paris, Nice / South of France, Edinburgh, Cambridge, South coast of England / Isle of Wight, and a few different areas closer in to London. In addition to travel that I have planned back to the States during the remainder of my trip, I want to experience at least the following:

  • Ireland -- the cities and pubs, but just as importantly, the countryside
  • Eastern Europe -- Possibly some combination of Hungary, Poland, and the Czech Republic
  • Greece -- No ideas exactly where yet
  • Egypt -- I know little about it, but why not give it a try?
  • Skiing in the Alps
  • Skiing in Eastern Europe
  • Iceland
  • Norway
...and anything else that comes up that seems particularly interesting and remotely affordable.

I'd also like to run a marathon over here this year. London's not going to happen for me this spring, as I would have needed to sign up with a charity by now. Paris had been a remote possibility this spring, but I'm leaning more toward a fall marathon at this point. Perhaps Berlin.

Given I used a substantial amount of vacation in the past few weeks and I'm planning to use more than a week in June for a trip with the family, I don't think any of these could be week-long trips. Rather, they will need to be weekends or long weekends.

My first possibility is skiing in the Alps. Nathan, a friend who studied over here several years ago, recommended several places about 40 miles away from Geneva. After looking online, they appear to be quite promising, and there are even ski-in, ski-out B&Bs with completely reasonable prices. I'm seriously considering booking a weekend trip either the weekend of January 24th or sometime in late February. I have no desire to coordinate a large group, and think it'd be fun to do either alone or with just a few friends. If you're interested in joining me, let me know in the next few days...

Also, any other thoughts or can't-miss places? Let me know!

2 comments:

J.Washburn said...

Man, I am jealous. I love traveling, I just rarely ever get to do it. Jen is much more of a "home-body" than I am. She gets homesick very easily and doesn't like to go away... I love it though. If you get the chance to go to any of those places, please let me know what how it goes!!!

Christie said...

I have to give a recommendation for Greece. I went for 11 days last June and absolutely LOVED it! I went to Athens on the mainland, and then island-hopped to Paros, Naxos and Santorini. Time of year to go: end of May/early June or September. It is much too hot and crowded during the summer, not too mention more expensive as well! Looks like you may have to stay in London another year to do all that travel, eh? ;)

Oh, and how come Rome isn't on that list. Have you already been there? That is my one remaining place that I "have" to go to before moving out of the UK...