Sunday 22 November 2009

Rugby and running

A few weeks ago, Ian convinced me to meet him and a few of his friends for a Sunday afternoon game of touch rugby. I made a bit of a fool of myself the first time playing it, but would like to think I've improved a bit over the past few weeks, and have had fun in the process!

After a game yesterday, I was standing around talking with everyone, when someone asked me about running a 10-mile race today. My initial reaction: "sure, why not?" Knowing this group, though, I quickly followed that with "wait... what type of a race is it?"

Let's just say that it's a bit muddy. It's called the Turbo X Pure Filth Challenge. I've done a bit of trail running, but nothing quite like this before. The video here is from last year, but pretty accurate (it gets really fun from about 1:45 into it). It was the same course... 55 degrees or so and cloudy when we started, but we had complete downpours with hail in the middle of it, while running through mud and streams that came up over my waist, before getting to the finish line where the sun came out again!

I'm exhausted and have quite a bit of laundry to work through this evening, but definitely glad I made the trip out there this afternoon!

No comments: