Monday 31 August 2009

Budapest

I’d gotten a text from Cecilia a few weeks ago asking “want to go to Budapest?” Needless to say, I was interested in hearing more, so I called. That night, Cecilia, Mike and Trine booked flights for the bank holiday weekend (this weekend) to Budapest. I did the same…

We left this past Friday morning, spent the afternoon exploring the town and a few of the key tourist sites, then found a restaurant recommended by one of my colleagues for dinner.

Saturday morning, Cecilia and I explored a market near our hotel, then met up with Trine and Mike at a bath house. Apparently Budapest is known for its thermal bath houses, so we figured we had to give it a try.

For the equivalent of about £10, we got day-long admission to a bath house. Now, there are some that are traditional with separate male and female facilities and an expectation of being, ahem, “natural.” This was (intentionally) not one of those. We relaxed through the different pools, each had a 30-minute massage for about another £10, swam a few laps, and eventually dragged ourselves out in late afternoon.

After a night out on Saturday, we spent Sunday touring the sites of Budapest. We went to the national gallery, toured a church overlooking the city, rented a four-person bike on a small island in the middle of the Danube and found the Parliament building on our explorations of the city.

The goulash, also, was amazing!

My photos from the weekend are posted here.

I’m now back in London and have a few weeks here before our trip to Oktoberfest in late September… I’ve definitely been trying to take advantage of the travel opportunities nearby here, but it’ll also be good to spend some time in one place for a change!

2 comments:

J.Washburn said...

So cool... I wish it wasn't so expensive to travel from the States to points in Europe. Jen and I are definitely considering going to Belgium next summer, but it will mean putting off getting that big TV we wanted... blah. What to do...

Robison family said...

Well, it's no Avalon, NJ, but I guess Budapest sounds OK.... Jk! Sounds incredible! Glad you had such a great time.