Sunday 22 March 2009

The Southwest

Several weeks ago, my parents came over to visit for a long weekend. After I left work on Thursday, we met for dinner at Gordon Ramsay's The Narrow. I'd previously gone to one of his other gastropubs... this had equally amazing food in a great setting. It's located on the Thames, out toward Limehouse. My venison special was remarkably tender and delicious!

Friday afternoon, we left town for a trip out into the countryside. We stayed at a B&B just this side of Bath. Saturday, we took a walking tour of Bath, went through the original Roman baths, and then explored the town a bit more.

Sunday, we went off to Avebury, Stonehenge and Salisbury, before returning to London. I'd heard from several people that Stonehenge was underwhelming, but it didn't really come across that way to me. Yes, it was a bit smaller than I would have expected, but it was still powerful to see such a substantial monument that was built there 5000+ years ago, without any of the support, tools, or the like that we would use today.

I didn't have my camera with me, but a few photos of the trip are posted here.

This was my first experience driving on the left side of the road -- in many ways, it was easier than I expected. I had no issues with turning, merging, traffic circles, or the like. However, on two lane country roads, it was counterintuitive to maintain the appropriate spacing. Having oncoming traffic on the other side of me was fine, but I still felt like there should have been four feet of car to my right, so it was definitely a conscious effort to not flinch with the cars coming so closeby.

In all, this was a great weekend -- both as an excuse to get out of London to explore the countryside and also for having spent some time with the parents!

No comments: