Sunday 15 February 2009

London Frustrations

So, I've made it a habit recently of doing the week's grocery shopping late on Sunday afternoon. I'll usually end up walking down to the Tesco Metro sometime shortly after 4:00 when I realize "uh, oops, it's about to close!"

What I can't understand: This store is in a pedestrian-friendly area, near a tube and rail stop, and is absolutely packed. Today, all of the checkout lanes were at least six people deep in queue at 4:45, yet the store closes at 5. You'd think if there's that much demand for purchasing groceries on a Sunday afternoon, they'd figure it out and actually stay open at least another hour or two... I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Christie said...

This nears the top of the list of reasons why London frustrates me too. I just don't get it. Sunday night is for grocery shopping people! Who wants to do it during the brief hours of sunlight on a Sunday afternoon?!

Jen said...

I second both your comments... I would be happy if they just stayed open to 6. I have hoofed it all the way to Waitrose on several Sundays only to find them closed... on a up side, my dry cleaner is open on Sunday until 8 pm!