Friday 19 September 2008

Politics

I've intended to write this entry for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. It's not quite as timely as I'd like, but so be it.

During the Democratic and Republican national conventions, I was shocked at the coverage in the UK. The popular dailies -- Metro, City Paper, and other free papers handed out at tube stations -- had their lead stories for about three weeks straight focusing on Obama, Biden, McCain, and Palin. Likewise, the BBC One morning news TV show was hilarious. I don't watch it often, but I had it on at 7am one day as I was getting ready for work. The introduction at the beginning of the show was a 45-second intro into their coverage of the Republican convention, 15 seconds or so on something to do with politics here in England, and then a five-minute segment on the previous night's RNC speeches.

It almost seems as if people here know more about our politics and election process than many in the States.

No comments: